Scientific Support Specialist - #2995801
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
Looking to continue using your life sciences knowledge and experience away from the bench? Are you the go-to person in your lab when experiments go awry? Do you get your colleagues back on track with excellent troubleshooting advice? Want to gain business skills in a fast-paced biotech environment? If so, this is your next career move!
As part of our Scientific Support Team, this role is responsible for providing daily technical support to our customers via email and phone. This also involves liaising with production labs about the products, updating product datasheets and reviewing customer data. In addition, there is also departmental and inter-departmental projects, sharing your expertise with your team and the rest of the organization. As this role interacts directly with our customers you are required to use first class communication skills as well as expert scientific knowledge. The Scientific Support Specialist reports to Scientific Support Manager.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide an excellent level of technical support to researchers via phone and email, leading to high customer satisfaction as measured by Net Promoter Score
- Troubleshoot problems with antibody-based applications (western blot, IHC, ELISA, IP, FC, ChIP, etc.) and other protein detection related products and tools (biochemicals, assay kits, Multiplex miRNA & Immunoassays)
- Independently resolve complaints by providing optimal solutions to customers, balanced with commercial needs
- Improve our customers’ experiences with Abcam products and increase sales by cross-selling when recommending products
- Liaise with product suppliers to obtain product information and follow up on product quality control
- Update product datasheets when new information becomes available
- Spend up to 10% of time working on specific projects, often involving other departments, which benefit the business
- Serve our internal departments to improve product quality and customer experience
- Curate and publish product reviews submitted by customers
- Responsible for sending and handling product advisory notices
- Continually think of, suggest, and help implement process improvements for a wide range of activities (SOPs, training new hire and senior staff, etc.)
- Actively participate in team meetings and departmental discussions
- Stay up-to-date on new products, applications, and techniques through webinars and trainings
- Be proactive with your own learning and development
- Represent Abcam at vendor shows and conferences or Abcam home grown events by giving booth tech talks or live webinars
- Support the sales and marketing departments through sales mini teams, large volume product recommendations, passing leads and nurturing key accounts
You’re an experienced bench scientist with a strong foundation working with antibodies (Western Blots, IHC, etc). You have a passion for helping others and you possess outstanding communication skills. You’re looking for a role where you can continue to use your scientific expertise but move into more of a customer-facing role!
Summary of Job requirements
- M.Sc. in a life sciences field
- Solid laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications. Experience must include western blotting or immunohistochemistry.
- PhD in life sciences field with laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications
- Laboratory experience in multiple major antibody-based applications (WB, IP, FACS, ELISA, IHC, ICC, ChIP, any multiplex assays)
- Experience in DNA and RNA molecular biology
- Background in chemistry with experience using and troubleshooting assay kits and/or the application of biochemicals in life sciences research
- Experience teaching or supervising staff or students
- Being able to handle change in a fast-paced environment
- Customer service and/or call center experience
- Friendly, positive, self-motivated, and a good team player
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys and excels at troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to work independently and multitask
- Keen attention to detail
- Takes initiative and follows up on work appropriately
- Experienced and comfortable using computers and software programs, must be comfortable with Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Any previous experience with an ERP system
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased holiday allowance over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.